Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nothing special

As a few of you know, I have this nerdy hobby of translating songs that I like from Spanish to English. It's a bit because I like languages and a bit because there are lots of beautiful songs out there that I want to share with my friends who don't speak Spanish. However I have had to come to realize that it's nearly impossible to put across the same feel of a song once it's translated. So I have kind of given up the whole thing.
But today I will make an exception. Lately I have been listening a lot a song by the band Bacilos ("Germs" in English) which I think lots of us ex-halders can identify with. I know I do, and this song is kind of a reminder of what I don't want to happen to me.

So I recommend that you look up the song "Nada Especial" by Bacilos on Spotify. And courtesy of your nerdy friend, you'll find the lyrics with my attempt of an English translation underneath:

Estamos sentados en una piedra – We're sitting on a rock
Sabiendo que el mundo está vuelto mierda, sí, señor – Knowing that the world has turned into crap, yes sir
Estamos quemando lo que tenemos – We're burning what we have
Estamos jugando al que no sabemos – We're pretending to be something we don't know
Estamos en medio del apogeo – We're in the middle of the highlight
De un mundo que tiene mucho deseo aún – Of a world which still has much desire left
Los números dicen que estamos bien – The numbers tell us we're fine
Lo dicen los genios de CNN – That's what they say, the geniuses on CNN

Y cuando te acercas a la realidad – And when you get close to reality
Otro comercial vuelve a anesteciarlo todo – Another commercial numbs it all down again


Y al final – And in the end
Me voy convirtiendo en un animal – I am turning into an animal
En un viejo más – Into another old man
De esos que se pierden por la ciudad – Like those who get lost in town
Sin sueño ni plan; abeja en panal – Without dreams or plans; a bee in a hive
Nada especial, nada especial – Nothing special, nothing special

Estamos jugandonos la camisa – We're putting our shirts on the line
Tratando de hablarles de la sonrisa gris del perdedor – Trying to tell them about the loser's faint smile
Estamos tratando de resolver – We're looking for solutions
Fregandole platos al mercader de nuestra propia idiotez – Doing dishes for the shopkeeper of our own stupidity

Y un hueco en el cielo – And a hole in the sky
Nos va a recordar que la realidad – Will remind us that reality
No va a negociar contigo ni conmigo – Won't negotiate with any of us

Y al final – And in the end
Me voy convirtiendo en un animal – I am turning into an animal
En un viejo más – Into another old man
De esos que se pierden por la ciudad – Like those who get lost in town
Sin sueño ni plan, abeja en panal – Without dreams or plans, a bee in a hive
Nada especial, nada especial – Nothing special, nothing special

No comments:

Post a Comment